7/22/08

GET CULTURAL WITH IT!!

I have to be honest I was completely underestimating the cultural center. I kind of expected to be a jumble of cliche abstract artists and photographers. but every exhibit that I saw not only impressed me many of them really put me into artist mode (I'm gonna be on Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop a lot more now)
"Ellis Island is a line separating my future from my past. Until I cross that line, i am still homeless, still an immigrant." - Karen Hesse
Stephen Wilkes Exhibit Ellis Island Ghosts of Freedom was amazing. His photography was not only aesthetically pleasing but deeply metaphorical showing how the government has allowed a historical landmark to depreciate. Another interesting thing I noticed was the battle of manmade structures vs. nature. It showed the impermanence of this planet. Men die, societies burn, buildings fall, even mountains erode.
The photograph Measles Ward, Hallway Study with Plant Life showed a single window with the sun beaming through shining light on plants tht had broken through the floor. The room was otherwise shrouded in darkness symbolizing that life cannot survive without life(Our America readers should find this interesting.)
All in all it was a good trip and if the others are anything like it i can't wait for these experiences.
Peace, Love and Revolution...
Kyle M. Bauman
P.S. Joe, i couldn't figure out how to upload photos off of my Iphone. will post when I figure it out.

No comments: