7/31/08

Kill Whitey.

Being white I think I can agree with Rob's post, being a white male gives you the benefit of blending into a society that caters primarily to white males, but the culture I identify with draws negative attention to me. It often makes me stand out not only to whites but to some blacks as well. "Wigger", "Act your race!", "dude you're white!" etc. i hear these comments a lot. I am persecuted because I choose to identify with a culture that many Caucasians ignorantly think is for African-Americans only. As I said in the lecture yesterday, issues of race seem to be slowly fading away, and how people judge you is becoming more based on your economic class. That's not to say racism doesnt still exist. An ex-girlfriend of mine would often go out of her way to avoid crossing path's with a large group of black males(we didn't date long because she would do this). She wasn't out and out racist but subconciously there was a paranoia, a fear based on stereotypes and assumptions.
Being white in this country is hard for me. Maybe it's a sense of guilt, a sense of feeling responsible for the struggle blacks still have to endure. Many caucasians are often pompous, arrogant, ignorant and indifferent towards other ethnic groups in this country, and thats not to say there arent exceptions to this. being a humanist I dont judge people by the color of their skin I judge them on who they are as a person.


"the white man is the fucking devil, i wanted to be black at age 14." - Sole

P.S. that quote is from a sattirical song by one of my favorite hiphop artists, don't take it literally.

No comments: